Troubleshooing a Mac
Issue: Computer is booting in Safe Mode (Shift Key) only
Do a Diagnostics Test (D) to check computer hardware
- Shutdown. Power on and immediately press D. It’ll take a few minutes to run tests and give you results.
- Mine gave me The battery requires service Reference Code:
- It’ll also give you your Mac’s serial number. Mine is:
Check System Diagnostics Log file
Reset PRAM Boot arguments
- Power on and immidately press Cmd+Alt+P+R. Release the keys once the system has reset and sounds the boot chime again.
- This didn’t work for me
Reinstall OS X
this might work if third party kexts are being loaded and causing the issue
Check hard disk
- if you’re able to boot in safe mode, open Disk Utility and Verify Disk.
- (Optional) Verify Disk Permissions and repair permissions.
- My hard disk was OK